Friday, October 8, 2010

A wise shower head once told me...

Written at 10:45PM 10/7/10

I'm pretty sure my body is falling apart. Either that, or I'm a hypochondriac… which, at this point, is an entirely valid thought.

1. I have 19 bug bites. On my feet.
2. I have a bump on the back of my left heel that is tender. It hurts to wear shoes with a back. I'm pretty sure it's because I have high arcs and little support.
3. For the first time in my life, I'm experiencing seasonal allergies. And since the seasons here never change, that means I'm experiencing permanent allergies.
4. I tried experimenting with the different laundry detergents here (they don't have Tide, my regular) and I'm developing hives over my body.
5. My knee is clicking overtime I bend it.
6. My scoliosis is… well… my scoliosis.

On top of that, I have two art classes tomorrow to prepare for, but the internet isn't working… so I can't do my awesome Michelangelo project tomorrow where the kids draw underneath their desks like Michelangelo drew the Sistine Chapel. And I'm nervous about Miguel tomorrow, my high schoolers still don't have their books, I'm frustrated with my Spanish, and I'm exhausted, tired, grumpy, moody, and irritable.

I went to take a glorious hot shower. I entered the shower with those boohoo-sob-story-pity-party-feeling-sorry-for-myself tears, when the water decided to go cold and stay cold for a bit. I looked up and said "Really? Really?" Looking back down, my eyes fell upon the front of the shower head. There on that stupid, annoying, never-working, shower head was a sticker, a word (in English too btw): Relax.

My four/five-ish word recipe to a meaningful day:
Relax, Pray, Trust, Dried-Mangoes.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post...

    And yay for dried mangoes!!

    be strong sista ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I've been watching Valerie's blog and checked yours out. I'm a returned Peace Corps Volunteer and was stationed in Agato. Totally relate to the hot showers so I thought I'd share what I did. My mom sent me a 5 gallon solar shower which you're supposed to use the sun to heat the water but the kids like to come and open the nozzle so then you have no water. So I started heating the water up a bit on my stove and then filled the solar shower bag. Bought a big "tina" (plastic tub) and would stand, err kneel, in that - was able to bathe in privacy and with warm water.
    My only problem was I didn't have running water so I get very good at taking a shower with as little water as possible. I could make the water last for 2 showers.
    Hope this sparks some ideas for you.

    ReplyDelete