Have you ever watched a five year old day dream in the back of a small-van school bus? The hazy eyes with the open mouth and the drool seeping out from the corners. I swear, I'm going to have laughing/smiling wrinkles by the end of this year from these kinder and pre kinder bundles of JOY.
Every Monday morning, I take the little school bus to school. It leaves a bit later (=20 min of sleeping in, score!) and it picks up the kinder and pre kinder students at their houses. Today, the radio was on the american station and for some reason it was only playing Black Eyed Peas songs (hit after hit after hit... loved it) so I started moving my head side to side to the beat and the kids just started craaaaaaaaaacking up. Then Martin and Andre started wildly strumming their air guitars, shouting "TOCA MI GUITARRA" and then the entire van turned into a crazy air band jam out session... minus Pablito, of course, who was too busy pointing and shouting "VACA" at every cow he saw.
Pablito had a bit of trouble this morning. He did not want to get into the van. He was crying, pulling, pushing, whining and his dad was trying so hard to get him into the van when I finally pulled out my handy dandy KAZOO, and said "Pablito!! Mira!!!" Pablio stopped dead in his tracks. His eyes grew inches and he reached out, grabbed my kazoo, stuffed it in his pocket, and took a seat on the bus in silence. About five minutes later I asked to see the kazoo. He cautiously handed it over and I showed him how to use it. I'm pretty sure my humble kazoo changed his world.
They also call each other chimilingo or chimilinga (kinda like saying 'hey kid' in English). Andre is usually the one who starts the rounds of "hola chimilingo, hola chimilinga!!!" Andre has eyebrows permanently painted in the angry position and it's HILARIOUS. This morning I looked at him and smiled. He stared back with his v-brow for about 30 seconds and finally broke out into a smile. It was the best moment of my life.
I am so happy here.
Also... congrats to my dearest loves, Robbie and Paula, on their engagement!!!!!!! YAY WEDDINGS
Monday, October 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

these kids are so cute!!!! reading your blog reminds me of my time of Service in Otavalo...
ReplyDeleteboohoo. I miss Otavalo!!
and I miss you Miss M!
:)
LOVE YOU
ReplyDeleteCome back. Otavalo is calling you. But I'll see you at the summer school, no? <3