Happy Naw-Ruz! Happy eating! Happy new year! HAPPINESS
I had the best Naw-Ruz of my life. Last night I danced for hours. HOURS. I danced San Juan, the indigenous cultural dance. I danced merengue. I danced salsa. I danced bachata. I danced reggaeton. I danced house music. I DANCED MY BUTT OFF.
But the best, sweetest, most special part of it all was when I danced with Ahmad. Ahmad is 5 years old and is in my kindergarden class. He's been a special friend of mine ever since we played tag for hours at the indigenous wedding I went to earlier this year. Anyway, at the Naw-Ruz party last night, he saw me standing alone. So, he left his mother, came up to me (on his own), grabbed me by the hem of my shirt, pulled me onto the dance floor, held my hands, and started to dance.
I don't think I can remember feeling so much happiness. So much joy. I really really love where I am. And I don't just mean where I am as in Otavalo, Ecuador.
I was honored to perform these two songs with Sr. Consejero Almeida (Counselor Almeida). J - we're recording/performing Queen of Carmel this summer.
Monday, March 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

your happiness makes me happy.
ReplyDeletemajor heart explosion for you right now.
happy happy Naw Ruz dancing girl!!
xox