The bride and groom wore the traditional indigenous clothing. For the bride; a long fabric skirt, a white-laced-floral blouse, ribboned patterned cloth wrapping around her waste and tied around her long back ponytail. For the groom, white pants, white shirt with a navy blue cloth poncho draped over his upper body (just like the green one Pacha wears in Emperor's New Groove). The wedding party and the majority of the guests followed in this tradition as well.
There were prayers, music, dancing, and words of advise. Afterward, we all took a bus to the house of the groom for the reception. In their courtyard-patio area, they had one table for the bride and groom against one wall, and rows of chairs lined up against the others. They served three plates. Three HUGE plates. And if you didn't eat all the food... well... you're kinda screwed. Also... they served pig intestine. And I ate it. I ate the pig intestine. I thought about my little piglets the whole time. It was quite a difficult experiene for me to be honest. I'm seriously considering cutting out meat from my diet. Buuuuut, I like In and Out too much. And corn dogs. Mmm. Corn dogs.
Anyway, back to recounting the night.... we dancing and laughed and talked and I played tag with Ahmad (5 year old in my kindergarden class) for like two hours (ok maybe just 20 min) and made Mr. Bean faces at Kendy (son of my neighbor) and went on walks and gazed at the night light views and it was a nice night all in all.
The bride had asked me to sing, so I sang. I sang with the uke a piece by Kelsey Bulkin, A Wave of Tenderness. It's a short excerpt from a marriage prayers by 'Abdu'l-Baha but it's absolutely lovely. Here are the words:
Wherefore wed in the heaven of Thy mercy
These two birds
Make them the means of attracting grace
from above
He hath let loose these two seas
that they may meet
That from the union of these two oceans of love
A wave of tenderness
A wave of tenderness
A wave of tenderness
may surge
And cast upon the shore
And cast upon the shore
And cast upon the shore
pearls
So yes obviously my brain is going crazy with all this imagery of oceans and waves and surging tides and pearls along with the fact that it's already going crazy with all this wedding stuff (oh lordy I'm such a girl when it comes to weddings... EEE love). But I was immediately reminded of a collection I saw on Project Runway years ago from Leanne Marshall.
She created a collection based off the colors, tides, waves, and feel of the ocean. It was beautiful and genius and perfect. On the left is her wedding gown and on the right is a bridesmaid's piece. Looking back at her collection set me off on a Leanne Marshall google search and I found some jewels.
The moral of the story: oceans and love are a good mix.





No comments:
Post a Comment