Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Burn 2010

Today Paolo told me about a tradition here in Otavalo, a tradition mainly prevalent within the indigenous communities. It has to do with New Years. People make puppets or buy puppets. And then light them on fire and literally take a bat to it, letting all your grievances, troubles and worries of the past year burn away with the puppets.

So, what should I burn?
The only thing I can think of wanting to burn is my course work material from that horrid Women's Studies class I took last semester. But I think I already chucked all evidence of that horrid horrid horrid course. Bleh.

But to be serious, I think I'll try to make a puppet representing doubt. I think this year, that was my greatest weakness. Especially when I doubted my own capabilities. I mean, come on... look at yourself home gurl. You're in a completely different country. Immersed in a different culture and language. Far away from the comfort of your mom's perfect food and your toilet paper flushing toilet. I've got guts. And I'm really proud of that. Doubt only slows me down, limits my capability. So, here's to hoping 2011 is doubt free.

AND THESE ARE SO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. DNA art. Genius. Fantastical. So freaking cool.

2 comments:

  1. "O Breakwell, O my dear one!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've def got guts!!!! never doubt that.
    And your dedication also brings in divine assistance.
    hope you have a fantastic New Year!!!

    (and now I will go wake you and Val up from your nap...)

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete