Last night, someone told me a story about The Báb.
In school, as all the other children ran out to the playgrounds to play, a young Siyyid 'Alí Muhammad (The Báb) would walk past the playground, alone, until he found a nice tree to sit under. Instead of playing, he would spend his time under that tree... praying.
Baha'u'llah advices us to live in a state of prayer.
Now, I don't think that's to say to go live up in the mountains and live your life as a monk, because I believe that change in the world, change for the better, is a unified process. And that can't happen on a mountain top isolated from society. But, I do admire monks and their detachment to worldly things.
For me, it means... what the heck am I doing on facebook waisting my time reading other people's self absorbed statuses and pictures of frivolous things that don't really have any sort of positive influence on my life when I could be doing something better???
I'm weak. I don't have the power to stay off facebook. Self-control is lacking there. So, I decided to deactivate it. So... it's gone.
I'm going to try to be like The Báb. While the rest of the world goes to their playground, I'm going to find my tree and make my time meaningful, especially while I'm here in Ecuador. But that's not to say that if you have a facebook, you're waisting your time. A kid playing on a playground is innocent, part of life at that age. And I'm not at all trying to elevate myself or say that what I'm doing is goodly or oooo look at me, I have the lady balls to delete my facebook. No. For some people, facebook isn't as distracting as it is to me. So, power to you! You keep on liking and wall-posting and friend adding.
Personally, I hope I find a mango tree.
***
Macklemore - Wings
Brother Ali - Us
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Mangos are yummy!
ReplyDeletePersonally I want a tree recently blossomed. The smell of flowers, the singing of the birds... :)
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/16/diabetes.cancer.ecuador/index.html?hpt=C1
ReplyDeleteAlso this is very interesting.