So. I'm back from PA and I'm in the city and over the past two days I have become an eye-tech-college-student-rockstar-citygirl. I don't know much of anything... but I'm learning a lot.
Here are the constituents of my Technician-ship:
- Vision testing. I record the patient's eye sight and their eye pressure. You know that huge E with all those other letters? Yeah, I can do that! I can also stick a pressure measuring instrument on someone's eye... hehehe.
- Dilating pupils (using eye drops).
- Prepping injections. I usually just do this for my uncle. Before he comes in the patient's room, I prep their eyes for the injection. I clean their eyes, using eye drops and then I take out all his surgical instruments and get it all orderly for him. The worst part is watching their flinching reactions to the needle. I think that's the worst injection out there... because you see it coming and we're not used to feeling a pinch in that area of the body.
- Vision field tests. This is a test that is ordered sometimes to look at the patient's peripheral vision. It's pretty sucky for the patient. And a lot of waiting for me.
- OCT scans. I think I'll eventually learn how to take OCT scans, which are basically 3D pictures of a cross section of the retina.
-Spanish translator. I translated for 3 different procedures today! My spanish was a bit rusty... and their spanish is very different that what I'm used to, so it was a bit rough, but I managed. I need to find out how to say macular degeneration (along with an entire list of new retinal related vocab) in spanish. O Dios mio.
You know what's cool besides learning a lot of medical terminology/anatomy/physiology and doing a lot of hands-on patient care and actually being part of IT all???? IT'S THAT I LOVE IT!!! Sigh, smile, eye flutter, cue the song and I sing with rosy cheeks of my sanguine dreams to inject people and take their blood over the rainbow to discover their bodily sorrows and send them home with happy pills.
Ojalá, algún día.
Well, tomorrow is my day off and I'm taking Layli to Soho. Peace out girl scout
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Told you to wait for confirmation! Glad you love it :)
ReplyDelete