Friday, January 14, 2011

Hairy happiness

So... I know I'm three months late and no, I don't mean that in the monthly womanly visitor late (although, I will have been here for 10 months when I leave... perfect chunk of time to dar la luz (give birth en espaƱol)). But I mean is with the whole whipping the hair back and forth. I will not deny it. I LOVE IT
 Which then got me thinking about how much I like well styled hair. And everyone wears braids here. When I say everyone, I mean everyone... men included. I love it.


Which got me thinking about things I like. Which got me thinking about raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. But really, here's a list of things I like right now in my life because this week was sucky and I always have to be positive because that's just how it works in my world.
  1. Right now I'm laying down on a bed with an actual mattress and my back feels 1158923598272597923847% better.
  2. I have an older sister pioneering in Milagro who convinces me to buy my own mattress and emails me and makes me feel strong and is exactly what I would want in an older sister if I had one.
  3. Mauro, Rosita, and Wlad are back. I love them so much and Rosita's cooking.
  4. 3 year old Jhosue from Pre-School hugged me after a day of not participating in class, throwing crayons and sticking his tongue out at me. We had a talk afterwards about what happened and why he acted they way he did. He voluntarily hugged me.
  5. Even though Miguel got suspended for doing drugs, he hugged me goodbye and told me he'd miss English.
  6. Cristian actually asked me to clarify something he didn't understand in class today. He actually expressed that he didn't understand and gave me the chance to teach it.
  7. I started giving private English lessons today to a junior youth from one of the Jr. Youth Groups going on. We went at it for two hours.
  8. I walked home today alone.
  9. Paolo explains everything to me at school in his broken English because he's so committed to becoming fluent. He's an amazing boss.
  10. I have a mom who listens to me groan and complain and cry over stupid things like high schoolers not listening to me and being inadequate and not understanding how teaching works, who gives me amazing advice and could take on educating the world single-handedly.
  11. I tutored Book 5 in Spanish to a handful of the high school senors. The level of discourse was high and I felt proud to be a part of their study circle.
  12. Newton Faulkner's song in Matilda. It's not on iTunes though. Lame.
  13. My best friend Marina. I love her too :P
  14. Everyday when I walk into pre-kinder or kindergarden, they run up and give me hugs.
  15. In 4th grade, I covered their virtues class where we talked about humility. When I asked them to tell me what they thought humility was, Martin said it was when there's water in the air which I then explained the difference between humility and humidity.
  16. They chompa lady finally gave me back my chompa. Chompa means coat. She's had it for four weeks "fixing" the sleeves which weren't fixed when I received it but at least I have it.
  17. Dr. Spencer sent me a miracle care package. I'm so so so so so so soooooo blessed. She sent me EXACTLY what I need. Including hand wipes. I'm so happy. And sanitized. And thankful. And loved.
So in the end Maryam, your life is great.  Get out of the dumps, smell the effing roses and be happy. And  live happily hairy after. The end.

2 comments:

  1. 1158923598272597923847% better!!!! W.O.W.

    so so so so happy for you :)

    I would have hunted you down and forced you to buy that (burger) mattress if I had to... well, almost. hehe.

    And I dono if #2 was about me (or someone else whose life sounds very much like mine and writes over at MY blog) but you got me all teary... :*

    love ya jigar!!!

    bk

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great life!

    Unfortunately, I can't whip my hair back and forth. My mom would sheer my head years before it got long enough :D

    ReplyDelete