It's easy to define yourself based on those around you. Individuality isn't easy. You can't just go stick a tattoo on your ass and call it a day. You have to commit to the values and the life you choose to lead.
When I was little, my room had a window facing west. I would spend what seemed like hours laying on my bed trying to catch the dust particles floating around in the air exposed by the light from the sun setting. I never understood why those little floating things would only appear when the sun shined through my window. And what were they anyway? As a child, I passed up playing barbies, watching TV, and even annoying my older brother to sit, watch and think about the sunshine dust.
Not much has changed... switch out barbies and TV for parties and drinks and an annoying older brother for a boyfriend. Only now, the sunshine dust is more than just floating particles...
that your faith be steadfast as a rock
that no storm can move
that nothing can disturb,
and that it endure through all things
even to the end
As ye have faith
so shall your powers
and blessings be.
This is the balance --
this is the balance --
this is the balance.
'Abdu'l-Bahá
An Early Pilgrimage, p. 40
Saturday, December 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment