Monday, November 14, 2011

Sam Perkins

In 7th grade I wore a scoliosis brace. Plastic, hole-y, with velcro straps. I looked like a walking tree branch. And wasn't the most popular girl on campus. Sam Perkins was one of the only friends I had. He had spiky hair, freckles and wore a turtle necklace. He liked turtles and music and we were in just about every class together. I remember Mrs. Pomeroy - the 7th grade science teacher (everyone's favorite teacher) loved Sam. Something about his shy, modest, quite stature made you feel comfortable around him. He was one of the only friends I had.

I can't imagine what would've gone through my mind if I had known sitting next to Sam during Mrs. Collin's math classes that I would outlive him. That I would see the sun set tonight and not him. That he would pass away from brain cancer while I'd sit with only a slight headache on my roommate's couch reminded of my own mortality.

Thanks for being my friend. Say hi to Kristen for me. And Liza. <3

1 comment:

  1. Wow Maryam, that was very moving. A touching tribute to a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete